VerveEarth

Monday, April 21, 2008

Featured Artist: Debby Arem


What do you create?
I create jewelry ( pins,earrings and cufflinks),green office products ( clipboards of various sizes and styles including mini magnetic for post it pads! , keychains, bookmarks ), clocks, picture frames and suncatchers - all from recycled circuit boards. I add various other recycled materials - everything from vintage beads and cabochons to recycled metal from a scrap metal facility, and recycled brass stampings and recycled electrical components. And I'm always trying to think of new products to introduce to my shop that are made with recycled circuit boards so stay tuned!

What made you start?
My husband actually had a company many many years ago that assembled computers! I was in the back room one day and saw my very first circuit board and I thought it was just beautiful with all the intricate circuitry! I remember thinking " I could make some really neat jewelry out of these! " I was already a jewelry designer so this idea then became my new line which I named " Three Ring Circuits". We always joke that we were " green" before it really was fashionable !
Oddly enough, we had a neighbor at the time who owned a company that manufactured circuit boards! When they had a 'run' of boards that had a defect in them , she was more than happy to let me acquire them rather than have to have them disposed of ! That's when my favorite hobby of 'dumpster diving' began as she'd let me go out to the back and go through all the dumpsters to find 'treasure'!


How long have you been crafting/selling/creating?
A long time - since 1980 ! That's when I first began designing beaded necklaces for the Smithsonian Insitution's mail order catalog and museum shops as well as doing a lot of custom work. ( I sell a lot of these loose beads that I used in my designs in my other Etsy shop with is http://www.EurekaEureka.etsy.com )

Describe your craft room/area in three words or less.
Cluttered but organized

Where do you sell your product? (online and offline)
I sell not only on Etsy, but also on DaWanda and I have my own website
( www.debbyarem.com )
I also have a number of wholesale accounts and do some custom work from time to time which I really love to do.

Where can we find you on the net? (myspace, blog, etc.)
Well besides Etsy and DaWanda and my own website, I'm on Stumbleupon, myspace and my pictures are on Flickr.

Is crafting your full time job?
Yes it sure is.

Any crafts you would like to learn or are currently learning?
I've always wanted to learn how to make glass beads by hand ( lampwork ) and hope someday to find the time although I can't imagine when that will happen! I'm lucky these days if I can still find time to knit!

What is your favorite material(s)?
Recycled circuit boards of course with amazing circuitry!


Are you a self taught crafter or have you taken some classes?
I have my B.A. in Fine Arts from American University although my concentration was in silkscreen printing. My (3RC) Three Ring Circuits line ( which is what is on DebbyAremDesigns) is all "self taught " and still is as I come up with new ideas. My husband collaborates with me on this and is great at helping me figure out how to create something many times when I have the idea but can't envision where to start! He was the one , in fact, who came up with the clipboard idea and many of our green office products.

What do you listen to when you are crafting?
Country Western music!


Are you a night owl?
Most definitely!

Do you have any other hobbies?
I sure do! Almost too many to list! Knitting, gardening,cooking, refinishing furniture,dumpster diving ;-) for items I might use in my DebbyAremDesigns shop, and I volunteer with 2 dog rescue groups.

1 comment:

Waterrose said...

What beautiful creations! Can't believe I haven't seen this artist on Etsy before. Thanks for the great interview!